Featuring Maggie Beer with:
Ved Prasad – Executive Chef Manager, Gallipoli Home
Sam Tsang – Quality Catering Lead/Chef, ANHF (Australian Nursing Home Foundation)
One of the more challenging but potentially most satisfying aspects of being a Cook or Chef in Aged Care is cultural diversity. Australia is one of the most culturally diverse countries in the world and the nation has benefitted from the traditions, skills and crafts that migrants brought with them from their homelands. As our ageing population grows, care organisations will be providing increasingly for food preferences of CALD residents.
This requires learning about the beliefs, preferences and tastes around food, ingredients, cooking styles and cultural traditions. It even includes understanding how different cultures present their foods, what they eat at different times of the day and differences in how they chew and swallow their foods. Cooks, Chefs and kitchen staff can make a huge difference in creating solutions to suit individual palates and beliefs.
In this module:
- We explore how organisations can manage the nutritional needs and food preferences of culturally diverse people
- We discuss how we can support them to observe their unique traditions
- And we share healthy recipes full of amazing flavours
When you have completed this course, you should be able to:
- Manage the nutritional needs and food preferences of culturally diverse residents
- Support residents to observe cultural traditions
- Encourage and support residents to be involved in menu planning
- Engage residents and families at meal times